How can I get Time Machine to backup
/opt on High Sierra?
You don't need to do anything special to back it up: Time Machine backs up all folders on your Mac.
However, you may get the impression that
/opt (and other folders like
/cores, as you mention in your comment) are not included because the Finder hides those folders by default:
But don't let the Finder mislead you:
- either press ShiftCommand. to let the Finder display all folders (press ShiftCommand. again to hide them),
- or open Terminal, list the contents of the backup folder and you will see that everything is there:
How can I restore
Proceed as follows:
- Open a Finder window.
- Enter Time Machine.
- Press ShiftCommandG and enter
/ to display the root folder of your drive.
- Press ShiftCommand. to display hidden folders. You should see
- Browse the timeline on the right-hand side and select the desired date.
- Press Restore. Note that Time Machine will probably ask whether you want to keep a copy of your current files.