I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) and a third-party thunderbolt to vga adapter. I have had the adapter for over 2 years now and it has given me no problem at all. Suddenly, this week the macbook stopped detecting different displays. Here is what I have done to solve the problem:
- Tried combinations of different screens, different VGA cables with the adapter
- Checked if the adapter was working via a colleagues laptop (adapters seem to be working fine)
- Tried different third party adapters
- Resetting SMC and NVRAM
- Updated the OSx from El Capitan to Mojave
- Performed first aid and hardware check from Disk Utility
- Tried installing the MiniDisplayVGAFirmware update
Nothing seems to work. On El Capitan the screen of the laptop would blink, after plugging the adapter to the Thunderbolt port, as if it recognised the screen but would not recognise the screen. On Mojave the screen does not even blink
I still have to try it with the official Apple Adapter but I do not want to buy it and realise that that is not the problem.
What do you think could be the issue? How can I fix it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!