So, I have an iMac 27" Late 2012, and I have just installed Windows 10 Home 64Bit through BootCamp. BootCamp comes along with several "support software", useful drivers made for Windows and Apple hardware. I have recently noticed that one of the drivers mounts and makes read-and-writeable drives that are formatted in HFS+, including my Mac drive (which appears read-only) and an external HDD I make backups to. Since I'm afraid of Windows Ransomware, I'd like to remove any access to HFS+ drivers from Windows side of things. Is there any way to remove (or at least disable) the driver that enables HFS+?
AFAIK the Apple HFS+ drivers are read-only. You may have installed another read/write driver like Paragon.
To remove Apple HFS+ Driver:
- Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
- Move AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to the Recycle Bin
Create a Remove_AppleHFS.reg file with a text editor like NotePad and the following content:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\AppleHFS] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\AppleMNT]
You may have to add a trailing empty line.
Merging a reg file with the registry should work as following:
- Click on Start and then Run...
- Type in regedit, and then press OK
- In regedit, click on File, and then Import
- Enter the filename or otherwise locate the ".reg" file you want to enter, and press OK
- The contents of that ".reg" file will be entered into the registry.