I loved vimari but the Mojave update made it no longer work because of the stronger permissions system. Is there any way to install this safely, or barring that make extensions work again?
vimari currently has a somewhat experimental process to compile and install it locally for Safari 12, detailed here:
Note: We are currently working on improving this installation flow, as well as the extension itself. Because vimari now has to be released as a Safari App Extension instead of a Safari Extension it requires some fundamental changes to the code. We can't guarantee that all the features work in this version. It's a learning process for us so bare with us.
- Clone this repo
$ git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:guyht/vimari.git
- Open the Swift project located at
- Configure the Signing settings for both the
extensiontargets to use your information rather than the Vimari team's (see this SO answer for more information).
- If you want different settings than the default ones, make your changes in
settings.js. You can always come back later to change the settings again.
- Build and run the project (
⌘ + r)
- An empty GUI box will show up - ignore it (we'll fix it later). Go to Safari and open up settings (
⌘ + ,). Go to Extensions and you should see vimari in the list of extensions. Enable it.
- You may now press stop in Xcode and close Xcode. The extension will be available even if you restart Safari.
This was tested on High Sierra with Safari Technology Preview (version 12). Let us know if something is not working for you.