Mac OS X 10.3, Panther
Mac OS X 10.3 Panther was released on October 24, 2003.
It added and updated several new features:
- Finder. The Finder UI was revamped and the icon was changed to give it a sleeker, more modern look.
- Fast User Switching. Allows two desktops to be logged in at the same time.
- Exposé. A window management tool that allows the user to see all open windows as thumbnails.
- TextEdit. TextEdit was updated to add support for the
- Developer tools. The developer tools were updated for faster gcc compile times.
- Preview. Increased PDF rendering.
- Quicktime. Added support for the Pixlet codec.
Panther also added 6 new applications:
- Font Book
- iChat AV
System requirement for Mac OS 10.3. Panther:
- PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor (at least 233 MHz)
- Built-in USB (indicative of a New World ROM being present)
- At least 128 MB of RAM (512 MB recommended, 96 MB supported unofficially)
- At least 1.5 GB of available hard disk space
- CD drive
- Internet access requires a compatible service provider; iDisk requires a .Mac account (now iCloud)