New answers tagged

0

The only solution that I know of is to approach the problem from another direction. Writing all of your own Automator apps (which are going to continually run into this problem), and trying to find loopholes to make them work? That's going to be a losing battle. You might be able to solve this with SD Notary: Notarizing Made Easy from the folks who make ...


2

As basically explained in Apple Silicon: port all Homebrew packages under /usr/local/opt/ to /opt/homebrew (and in https://docs.brew.sh/Manpage#bundle-subcommand): Create a Brewfile with brew bundle dump Store the file somewhere safe (flash drive for instance) Once the computer is set up again, install Homebrew, copy the Brewfile back and run brew bundle ...


0

The example shell script code, shown below, can be used as an Automator workflow created as either an Application or Service/Quick Action, using a Run Shell Script action with setting Pass input: [as arguments] and replacing the default code with it, as shown in the images further below. For each folder dropped on the Automator workflow created as an ...


1

If you want to stop Firefox from opening when not necessary, then change: else if theActiveApp is "firefox" then tell application "firefox" open location urlToOpen end tell To: else if theActiveApp is "firefox" then set |Firefox| to "Firefox" tell application |Firefox| ...


2

Firefox is likely opening because the script includes: tell application "firefox"  … end tell Based on your description, these lines require AppleScript to launch Firefox to determine if the script is correct – even if the involved lines are never run. Firefox needs to be launched for AppleScript to obtain the application's scripting language ...


0

Just to close the loop on this (because it was one of the top hits on Google). Here is how to open any file terminal (bash/zsh): sudo open /Applications/Developers\ Tools/Sublime\ Text.app /etc/hosts sudo open "/Applications/Developers Tools/Sublime Text.app" /etc/hosts alias - entry: alias edit="sudo open /Applications/Developers\ Tools/...


0

Extending @CJK's excellent answer, neither the ISO-8601 format nor the default Applescript one works for me, and I'm more comfortable programming in Javascript, so I came up with this: If I were programming an app, I would momentjs to format the date, but for this personal Quick Action, it seemed more expedient to brute-force it. Anyway, I don't even know ...


0

This works for me, though the conversion is from jpeg as I have an oldish iPhone :( I have added lots of notifications to confirm each step - simple debugging! The pause is a hint I got sometime ago for AirDrop. Your Get Selected Finder Items is either unneeded or wrong (not sure which).


0

In Big Sur, you can set up a keyboard shortcut to switch users as follows. Go to System Preferences > Dock & Menu Bar > Fast User Switching Enable Show in Menu Bar Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility Add Automator and System Preferences to the list of apps allowed to control your computer Automator &...


0

Actually I do not think the problem is that Automator passes the incoming files to each action in turn. If I try to change the names of the off file after creating it, or move file, Automator does that. There must be another reason why it does not resize the pdf file immediately after creating it


0

I think the problem is that Automator passes the incoming files to each action in turn. It doesn't pass the created PDF file in the first action to the 2nd action. So you need to add a "Get Specified Finder Items" action to 'get' the PDF that you've just created, and pass it through the workflow. Of course, none of this addresses the problem of the ...


0

I have improved it and added it as Automator Service, so you can access it anywhere: on run {input, parameters} set my text item delimiters to " " set resultList to every text item of input set text item delimiters to "" set phone to resultList as string -- 123456789 (test) open location "tel://" &...


0

Through lots of trial and error I finally managed to actually download and extract the audio. However I'm getting an error message: "ffprobe/avprobe and ffmpeg/avconv not found. Please install one." Thing is my ffmpeg is fully up to date. I even reinstalled it just in case. My "youtube-dl" is also up to date. Addressing your comment... ...


1

There is a third-party utility named blueutil that makes it easy: blueutil --power toggle Toggles the Bluetooth power state. See the Usage section on the linked webpage for additional usage information. Note: If you do toggle the power state, turning Bluetooth off, make sure you can control your Mac's keyboard via USB or built-in if a notebook.


0

I've had success with cYrus's answer, and success on Catalina with the open source Bartender alternative Dozer


0

It is quite obvious at this point that it is indeed a bug. After persisting for several months in Safari versions 14.0, 14.0.1, and 14.0.2, on both macOS Catalina (up to 10.15.7) and Big Sur (up to 11.1), the bug has finally been fixed in Safari 14.0.3 with the release of macOS 11.2 on February 1, 2021.


Top 50 recent answers are included