I backup my phone to iTunes but need to back up my pc. I can do pictures as I can just copy those from the phone but what about the contacts, texts etc that are backed up to iTunes? Where is that stored?
iTunes places the backup files in the following places:
\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
Note: To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, and choose Run. Type %appdata% and click OK.
Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10:
Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata% and press the ↩ Return key.
20230805: "new" folder
Apple might have made this the new default since a while, I can also find this folder listed at iTunes Backup Location: Where Does iTunes Store Backups?. In a new installation of iTunes on a computer that has never stored a backup before, it took this "new" folder.
For Windows 7 & 8 (from my knowledge):
- Start iTunes and attach the iPhone.
- Click on your phone icon and then select the Info tab on the top menu.
- Note the drop down menu SYNC CONTACTS WITH.
- Choose Windows Contacts.
- Make sure everything else is unchecked.
- Then go ahead sync your phone.
- This creates and or updates a Contacts Folder in your Windows User's folder called Contacts.
- The info in here looks similar to a file but the columns show contact info.
- Select an entry and OPEN IT (double click or right click and choose open.) - An edit window opens. When you sync the Windows Contact folder and your iPhone you will be able to get a pretty cool reconciliation feature for the differences between the two lists.
- This works well and I know I have my contacts on my computer and backed up with all my other stuff.