I have a Macbook Pro which has a 750GB HDD. I'm currently using Bootcamp to run Win 7. If I want to upgrade the HDD to a SSD but keep my stuff from both the OS X side and the Win 7 side what are the steps to backing it up?
Here's what I would do (haven't done it step by step, but I have fairly lot experience with swapping drives, making copies of partitions etc.):
- exchange the drives (put the SSD inside)
- make sure you have an external USB bay for the current drive
- first test: power on with the Alt key pressed when it chimes, select the external OSX and see if you can boot OS X from the external drive (this should work)
- note: you will not be able to boot Windows from the USB drive (booting Windows from USB is generally not possible)
- install OS X on the SSD via the recovery boot partition (if you have a time machine backup, restore that through the installer, this will save you the copying/migration-assistant step futher below).
- now boot OS X from the internal SSD drive
- eject and disconnect the USB drive to make sure bootcamp or Windows will not mess with it
- run bootcamp assistant to make room for Windows (boot camp assistant will only work on an internal drive and only on an OS X install as the single partition (plus recovery partition from the install))
- make a minimum windows install to check if that boots ok.
The point of the above is to create a partition layout on the SSD, that both MacOS and Windows recognize. The central thing there is, that bootcamp assitant will only let you do this from an original OS X partition layout.
Now you should have an SSD with a fresh OS X and fresh Windows. Your other drive is still in the original state, so you can always put it back.
Then copying the partitions is rather easy:
- if you boot from the external OS X again, you can use SuperDuper (or a similar tool) to copy your current OS X to the SSD. Or boot the fresh OS X from the SSD and use the Migration Assistant and copy your setup from the external drive.
- to copy Windows, get gparted (i486 iso), burn it on a CD. This will let you copy the external Windows partition to the internal one (boot Gparted from the CD, select external Windows partition, choose copy, then SSD Windows partition, paste, apply).