A few months ago I posted the question getting "out of memory" error when trying to load specific websites (am not out of RAM) regarding bizarre
could not allocate memory errors when I attempted to load certain specific websites (and was absolutely positively not out of memory), even though my internet connection was otherwise fine. That problem spontaneously vanished for a while, but now I'm experiencing the same behavior with a number of other sites and a different error message.
Attempting to load any of these sites in a browser gives me a generic
could not connect message. When I try to ping them, I get this message:
ping: sendto: Device not configured Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Things that haven't helped:
- Using a different network
- Using a wired instead of wireless network
- Logging in as a different user
- Rebooting (it actually did help on one occasion, but the problem reappeared a few minutes later)
- Requesting different pages on the site or using variants on the URL (e.g., with or without
- Using the site's IP address instead of the name
I haven't been able to determine whether the same problem occurs when I use a VPN, because one of the sites that will no longer load is my VPN :P
The error occurs before the computer has even tried to load the site, but after it receives the IP address.
update: partial list of non-working sites (all of these are publicly available):