Hello I am trying to set up a mail account on a new macbook air (Lion 10.7.5 Build 11G63B). I have gone through all the steps but it will not connect to the smtp server. I am using straight SMTP (not SSL) with a username and password that I have verified are correct.
The connection doctor shows that the connection is being rejected due to the HELO that is sent to it:
HELO mymac.mydomain\.co\.uk 501 HELO requires valid address
I have reproduced the above error with a telnet to the SMTP server. With
mymac.mydomain\.co\.uk I get the above error. With
mymac.mydomain.co.uk it authenticates correctly.
How do I stop the macbook sending a garlbed HELO ?
Further detail on the SMTP setup. I have set the following:
- Server Name = the fqdn of the smtp server (definately correct)
- Use custom Port 25 (only while trying to get it to work - I expect the 'use default ports' option would be ok)
- Use SSL is unchecked (don't use SSL)
- Username set to known correct username
- Password set to known correct password
There are no other settings available. The smtp bit of this site: http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/mail-107-smtp.shtml reflects what I was doing.