The shortcut shown in the Apple menu for the Force Quit menu item is . (The last character is the Unicode Broken circle with northwest arrow character.)

What keys should I use as shortcut of that menu item?


5 Answers 5


To be concise: the symbol you're asking about, the circle with the arrow escaping from it (that's the way I remember what it means), is the Apple way of saying 'The ESC Key'.

So the menu item ⌥⌘⎋ is option+command+esc pressed simultaneously.

  • 1
    Wow.. What a cool way to say "a circle with the arrow escaping from it." Commented Jul 4, 2021 at 7:37

The Escape key.

I don't know why Apple use this non-standard symbol, but they always have...

Here is a full list of all of the symbols that Apple use.

  • 3
    For a full list of Apple key symbols, see here: docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/…
    – dan8394
    Commented Aug 14, 2011 at 3:10
  • 4
    "The key is indicated as a circle with an arrow through it (U+238B, ⎋) as defined in ISO 9995." (wikipedia) Sounds pretty standard to me. Commented Aug 15, 2011 at 11:18
  • 2
    I've never seen that symbol in use on a non-Mac system, but maybe I haven't been paying attention...
    – dan8394
    Commented Aug 15, 2011 at 12:06
  • 1
    My current MBP (early 2011) uses no symbol and reads "esc" on the Escape Key. If it was a standards, I guess Apple is abandoning it now for a wider the-facto standard. Commented Aug 15, 2011 at 18:44
  • 5
    It's a reasonably logical symbol for Escape, but for some reason I always think it means the power button. :-)
    – David
    Commented Aug 18, 2011 at 18:08

As an extension to Ian's answer, here's a list of all the keys:

Apple Special Key Symbols

As correctly pointed out by Ian, the ⎋ is the Escape key located on the upper left side of your keyboard.


You can find a list of all the keyboard icons, terminology, and HTML entities over here on Meta . That icon is the Escape key. You can find it in the very top left-hand corner of your keyboard.

Escape key on a Macbook Pro


It is the escape key (esc) it is on the top right or left corner of the keyboard

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .