I stumbled across the CMD-D hot key which splits the Terminal into 2 panes. But I can't find documentation anywhere on how to close the new pane or even switch the focus to it so I can use it. What are the other commands?


3 Answers 3


The idea behind splitting is that it allows you to keep a certain part of the shell buffer displayed while continuing to enter new commands. So only the lowest split does allow keyboard input. To position the view on the shell buffer use the scroll bar.

You can un-split by pressing Shift-Cmd-D.


Like the top answer says, to undo the split is ⌘ Shift ⌘Command D.

I just wanted to add that in general OS-X shortcuts that are done with ⌘ Command-char are undone (or the opposite/complement command is executed) with ⌘ Command ⌘ Shift-char.

  • 1
    I'm not going to vote to close - whilst it's not really an answer, it does add a useful snippet of information.
    – Tetsujin
    Commented Aug 22, 2016 at 18:22

In the most current version of Iterm2, navigate to Preferences > Profiles > Keys.

Select the + sign and add new key shortcut. Then scroll to the bottom and select Send Escape Sequence. Do this twice and after you select escape sequence simply put a b in the text box for left and an f for right.

More information found here:


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .