I have had a hunt around the net for this, but cannot find an answer - how do I type a backtick on Mac OSX Snow Leopard? I have a Macbook from late-2010.

The backtick character is one I use on a regular basis on StackExchange.

  • 4
    Which keyboard layout do you use? On my keyboard, it is next to Shift.
    – guwac
    Oct 27 '12 at 21:07
  • 1
    You mean ` ? What keyboard layout do you have?
    – user21594
    Oct 27 '12 at 21:07
  • @Radoo Yes, I mean `. Thanks it is indeed next to the [SHIFT] key.
    – crmpicco
    Oct 27 '12 at 21:10
  • @guwac I'm not sure why I didn't see that, but thank you. Can you submit an answer?
    – crmpicco
    Oct 27 '12 at 21:11

I presume you don't have the English keyboard layout. You need to set up the U.S. Input Source, similar to what is described here (actually it's the other way around, you want to Check U.S.): How do I disable the Russian keyboard layout in software?

Then select that Layout and press the key right to left Shift.

  • 2
    The UK keyboard has ` next to shift - what is the issue you raise?
    – mmmmmm
    Oct 28 '12 at 12:24
  • On other countries layouts, instead of ` you have a letter, for a specific language. When you press it, it will type that letter and not `, if you don't specify an U.S. input source, or any other layout that might have that key as `. I just said U.S. as I know that works for sure. support.apple.com/kb/HT2841?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    – user21594
    Oct 28 '12 at 14:08
  • Ah I thought English keyboard meant keyboard used in England
    – mmmmmm
    Oct 28 '12 at 14:14
  • 1
    It could mean british keyboard as well, it seems you have the ` by default. :)
    – user21594
    Oct 28 '12 at 14:20

Disclaimer: This info is for English keyboards. If you're using a keyboard for a different language, look for the keys on your keyboard that match the photos. Pictures of Apple's keyboards for various languages can be found here.

This question was answered 5 years ago, but pictures may be helpful for viewers coming upon it now.

To make a backtick on the US English keyboard - Use the key just to the left of the 1 key

Backtick key

To make a backtick on the British or International English keyboard - Use the key just to the right of the left shift key

Backtick key Brit and Intl

  • Only on a US keyboard - also note that the other answers already covered this.
    – Mikey T.K.
    Mar 30 '17 at 20:43
  • Thank you for clarifying, I was referring to a US keyboard, I'll update it to clarify. I was hoping the photos would help. I added my answer since the majority of the other answers were incorrect in suggesting that the single quote key was a backtick as requested by the OP. Hope It helps someone :)
    – BAngel
    Apr 1 '17 at 18:16

If you have a TURKISH keyboard, and using Turkish - QWERTY PC, in order to type ´, you need press ALT + Ş.

Gizem's comment: In fact for backtick (`) TURKISH keyboard, you should press ALT and comma like this: (ALT,)

  • 1
    what about Turkish-F ?
    – SuperEye
    Sep 1 '20 at 9:16

Search and use that key on a french keyboard :

enter image description here


On an US keyboard, it is right next to Shift.

  • 1
    he means ` not ' ` is next to 1 on a US keyboard under the ~
    – dstarh
    Jan 29 '13 at 20:14

You may find the backtick (`) character on the Belgian (BE) version of the Apple Macbook at the same place as the French (FR) layout - ref. Sébastien Gicquel.

FR/BE keyboard layout MacBook

Apparantly both BE and FR layouts of MacBooks keyboards are the same. Here's a list of MacBooks international layouts: https://keyshorts.com/blogs/blog/37615873-how-to-identify-macbook-keyboard-localization#belgian by Sebastian Kończak.


Had the same issue with non-English keyboard as well. Turns out it is rather easy to customize PressAndHold feature introduced in Lion. Here's how i did it: http://prii.it/blog/customize-press-and-hold-in-os-x-for-your-own-good

Now i have quick access to all symbols that are needed but missing on keyboard.


Backtick is on the left of "1" keyboard button.

  • This is true only the the kind of keyboard sold in the US. The person posting the question confirmed 4 years ago that on his keyboard it is next to Shift, which is the case for the kind of International English keyboard sold sold in most other countries. Dec 8 '16 at 20:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .