Periodically, my MacBook Pro 17" stops recognizing my headphones. No amount of unplugging and replugging seems to help. The sound settings never show headphones as an output device. How can I fix this? The only thing I can find elsewhere on the Internet are people saying, "Reboot!" This works, but is impractical and annoying.
There seems to be a bug whereby if the headphones are plugged in when the MBP is put to sleep and are not present when it is rewakened, the headphones stop being recognized. The solution is to:
- Unplug the headphones
- Put the MBP back to sleep (close the lid; without an external display hooked up)
- Plug the headphones back in
- Wake the MBP by opening the lid.
This should fix the problem.
Ok, looks like I fixed my issue by resetting PRAM. Here are the steps:
- Shut down your Mac.
- Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
- Turn on the computer.
- Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
- Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
- Release the keys.
Source - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
open system preferences and go into sound. under the output tab make sure where it says "use audio port for:" is set to "sound output"
Plug-in the headphones. Using the button in the upper right corner of the powerbook, restart the computer. Hold down the alt option key while clicking on the speaker volume icon in the top, menu bar. The headphones should show on the dropdown menu. They are now you output device. This worked for me.
Simply ... plug in the headphones. Restart the powerbook.
Yes sleep the macbook connect the headphones then awake the mac, voila!
You must log in to answer this question.
protected by Community♦ Aug 8 '14 at 23:51
Thank you for your interest in this question.
Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).
Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?