If I purchase an app for my iPhone can I download it for free on my iPad?
Yes, the app will be available for both if compatible. However, note that:
- classic iPhone apps don't look very well on the iPad
- "plus" applications look well on both the iPad and the iPhone
- HD applications only work on the iPad
- some vendors are nice and provide "plus" apps that look good on both platforms (e.g. Smurfs' village)
- some other vendors are not so nice and force you to buy both the iPhone and iPad version (e.g. Angry Birds)
iTunes purchases are tied to your account. The current policy (January 2011) is that you can download apps for free once you've downloaded them the first time. Music and movies do not have this courtesy.
That said, if you purchase an app with your iTunes account on your iPod, you can log into that account on your computer, iPhone, or iPad and download it again.