I want to use a custom app dock icon, and followed instructions found online, which specified the following:
- Find image in Finder
- cmd-i on file to "Get Info"
- Click the little icon in the top corner
- cmd-c to copy ... something.
- Open the Applications list in Finder
- cmd-i on the application to "Get Info"
- Click on the little icon in the top corner
- cmd-v to paste ... something.
This worked great. Except, not really.
The problem: It appears some app, in associating itself with images, has set all those "Get Info" icons to generic "PNG" and "JPG" icons, like so:
The only image app I've installed is GIMP, and I've played with its and X11's settings but didn't find anything.
Perhaps there's a way to reset PNG / JPG icons? The things I've found online for resetting icons seemed to be about undoing what I'm trying to do, e.g. "I want to bring back the original icon for [someapp], how do I do that?" Which doesn't help me.