In Windows and Ubuntu one can move the cursor to the end of the next word in text by pressing ctrl+ left or ctrl+right.

What's the equivalent of this on the Mac?

  • Command+left and Command+right brings you to the end or beginning of a line - something that I find really useful as well. – bassplayer7 Jun 19 '12 at 11:58
  • 1
    ...something accomplished with Home and End on PCs. – josh3736 Jun 19 '12 at 14:40

option + left and option + right

  • 1
    ... and why is it not listed in keyboard shortcuts ... – GEdgar Jun 19 '12 at 15:47
  • @GEdgar Gremlings. – Kit Sunde Jun 19 '12 at 17:15
  • it's a global thing like the enter or shift keys… goes without saying – Alexander - Reinstate Monica Jun 19 '12 at 23:00
  • 2
    it doesn't "go without saying" since it had to be said. I too wanted to know this. – Chase Florell Jun 19 '12 at 23:53
  • Weird/relevant: on older version of Microsoft Word, it used to be command instead of option. Took them forever to get in line with the rest of Mac OS. – NReilingh Jul 8 '12 at 6:08

This is a late return from an outlying precinct on this question, but on my 2014 MacBook Pro using Word 2011, I stumbled on to how to move to the beginning and the end using "fn" + option + Left arrow, and Rt arrow respectively.

These combinations also work for the Word for Mac Preview v 15.8.


It's really quite simple: just us Command + right or left.

  • That somehow contradicts the already accepted answer – nohillside Jul 12 '13 at 12:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .