(See my marked answer to this question for my solution. The troubleshooting steps taken below led me to my solution, but do not solve the issue on their own.)
When trying to use the editor on the Canva.com web app, it says
While your browser seems to support WebGL, it is disabled on unavailable. How do I fix this?
2023 M2 MacBook Air
macOS Ventura 13.4.1 (c)
Google Chrome version 117.0.5938.149
Generic HDMI plug-and-play monitor used in tandem with the MacBook Air display with an Anker USB-C to HDMI cable.
Troubleshooting Steps Taken and Additional Information
- Visited the website WebGL Report (github information here) and see an error showing
This browser supports WebGL, but it is disabled or unavailable.
- I checked Chrome settings and confirm there is an update. I download and relaunch via Chrome settings page and check WebGL Report and Canva sites again, but see the same errors.
- I restart my computer, but still have the same errors when opening Chrome again. I checked the chrome://flags page, but do not see any flags that have been changed from their defaults.
- I open the chrome://gpu page and I see that a number of items under
Graphics Feature Status show
Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable, specifically Canvas, Compositing, Rasterization, Video Decode, Video Encode, WebGL, WebGL2, and WebGPU. Of note is a section called Problems Detected with the error
Gpu compositing has been disabled, either via blocklist, about:flags or the command line. The browser will fall back to software compositing and hardware acceleration will be unavailableand
Disabled Features: gpu_compositing.
- I again check chrome://flags, but do not see any changed items, nor does gpu_compositing show up in any of the flags.
- I disable my only two Chrome extensions via chrome://extensions, but have no changes to the errors. (Extension names omitted for privacy and security.)
- I unplug my external monitor and quit Chrome. I reopen chrome and continue to see the same errors above.
- I set the chrome://flag for #ignore-gpu-blocklist to enabled and restart Chrome with no change to the previous errors. I set this back to the default, which is the "disabled" setting.
- Of note, I did not try another browser to troubleshoot this issue.