How do I format my New Drive and Move the old backups from my Old Time Machine?... Now it would seem straight forward at first with a simple drag and drop from old to new drive, but my old drive is encrypted, so maybe it is not possible???
- Old Drive : 512GB APFS (Case-Sensitive, Encrypted)
- New Drive : whatever is best?
The Goal... Copy Old Data onto New Drive and setup New Drive as the new TimeMachine drive.
I could not find a relevant Guide to do this, nor could Apple answer this question (on first 2 calls, they are still working on it.)
These are Steps I tried (found online and from Apple Support):
- Connected both Old and New drives to my Mac. The New Drive required Formatting which I formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on GUID Partition, I halved the Disk and also had an exFAT partition.
- Set the user permissions on the new backup drive. Selected the new drive in Finder > File > Get Info > click on the disclosure triangle next to Sharing & Permissions > unchecked "Ignore ownership on this volume".
- Turned off Time Machine, by setting to Manual.
- Tried Copying (Drag n Drop) the main folders, but they would not they just snap back to their own location, I was able to copy the sub folders but that could be incorrect as they may not be fully accurate files and they would not be loaded into TimeMachine.
The Above did not work as each folder could not be copied.
The Pic shows the Source Drive (512NVMEUSB and the Destination TimeMachine
I am not sure this can be solved. Other sites have no answer, that I could find, and an Apple Senior Support Rep is searching for an answer and should come back in 2 days time.
I hope someone else has a better answer