When I open a photo in mac, I can zoom in and out using the command and + or command and - key combinations. Is there a way to zoom in and out where the mouse cursor is using the mouse's scroll wheel?


1 Answer 1


This answer is describing how to do this using both mouse and keyboard, you will be able to hold a key on your keyboard while you scroll with your mouse to zoom.

For this, go to System Settings > Accessibility > Zoom. Then, turn on "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom". Now, click on "Modifier key for scroll gesture" (it will show a popup menu) then choose the modifier key you want (the one you will hold when scrolling to zoom) between Control, Option or Command.

Note that you can also scroll with your keyboard while pressing the chosen modifier key as well, it will do the same actions.

  • Thanks! Is there a way to do in the photo viewer? Are there any other apps that can achieve this?
    – MOON
    Commented Apr 16, 2023 at 23:08
  • @MOON This also works in Photos for me (that's why I have answered). Just follow the steps in the answer and it'll work in Photos normally. I don't know if there's other apps to do this, sorry.
    – Thinkr
    Commented Apr 17, 2023 at 6:27

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .