I'm using the US wall adapter that came with my iPhone to charge it:

When I travel to Europe, is it safe to use this with a simple US-European adapter, or do I need a transformer or some other device to step to the appropriate voltage/current? Do I risk frying my device?


Yes, you can use the simple adapter. If you read the tiny fine print on the plug end you see "110-240V 50-60Hz" which means it will work on most common electrical systems around the world without a transformer.

  • You'll find that most new apple equipment, chargers, and power bricks are all labeled for 110-240V, 50-60Hz AC power. – Adam Davis Mar 22 '12 at 0:05
  • it's been true of Apple chargers for at least 7 years. My original PPC iBook was from the USA and all I needed was the UK adaptor for the charger. – Stu Wilson Mar 22 '12 at 8:20
  • Europe had voltages ranging from 220 (NL) to 240 (UK) and is in the process of transforming that into a Europe wide 230V 50Hz. The only exception I could find at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country - Okt 2014 - is Norway at 240 Volts. – Pro Backup Oct 10 '14 at 15:06

Yes, it is perfectly safe to use a simple adapter for EU. You do not need additional transformers. When I went in visit to Europe I got one adapter exactly like the one in your post, the black one.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .