- Is is possible to change the entire desktop environment of a Mac (12.2.1)?
- Are there any desktop environment alternatives available? (Xfce or unity-like would be nice)
My major concern is the default window management. It becomes very difficult to handle windows, when you have like 6 terminals, 6 Browsers and several code editor and several word instances. I'm searching for something Xfce or Windows7 like with every application being one button in a task-bar-like thing.
- free / opensource is a nice to have
- Should be easy to install
- Should not break the system
- Should be reversible
- "Install Ubuntu" or "Use Windows" are no valid answers.
- I'm bound to a mac with its native OS
Some further points that I seem to be too stupid to figure out how to work around on a mac
- Clicking app icons throws me around in the virtual desktops
- Choosing apps via command+tab does not open apps
- Virtual desktops are getting reordered randomly
- There seems to be no working "window maximize" button (doubleclicking title var leaves 1cm of screen free...sometimes...sometimes not...depends on the moon)
- Apps seem to arbitrarily change virtual desktops sometimes.
- Minimized apps become kind of hidden. I end up creating more and more terminals or Firefoxes.
- Side-by-side, non-fullscreen view seems to have no shortcut (Mac's side-by-side triggers fullscreen mode)