On the airplane they have a stereo 3.5mm audio output which normally is where you connect your headphones. Problem is I switched to Apple AirPods a while ago and they’re wireless. What’s the best way to connect my AirPods to a physical jack, and how do I do it?
I’m hoping there’s a way to leverage the iPhone as the bridge between the physical connection and the wireless one rather than needing a new device:
- 3.5mm stereo female (audio source)
- 3.5mm stereo male to male cable
- 3.5mm stereo female (microphone slot) to 3.5mm TRRS male cable
- 3.5mm TRRS female to Lightning male adapter
- AirPods (audio destination)
A few assumptions/unknowns here:
- I included the conversion to TRRS since that seems to be the only way to convert the audio output into audio input to the iPhone.
- Once the audio input comes in to the phone, I’d need a way to replay it on the AirPods. I’m not sure how to do that.
- At the same time, I’d need to make sure whatever audio the AirPods microphones pick up is ignored in this replay mechanism.
Is all of this possible, and if so, how?