I have an external magic keyboard. I picked this model because it has the exact same layout as the keyboard of my current Macbook Pro 15" mid-2015.

I'm now going to upgrade to one of the just released Macbooks, and I want the keyboards (the external and internal keyboards) to have the exact same layout. Including the horizontal shape of the enter button, and the location of the \ right on top of the enter button.

Which keyboard should I pick to get the layout? Is it the english US? does the enter button have the shape I need?

keyboard layout

  • 1
    People be looking for an enter button all day on that hardware :) apple is hard core on the return key with a physical enter only on extended layouts.
    – bmike
    Nov 3, 2021 at 11:14
  • @bmike - I've often wondered about that. Having only ever owned extended keyboards, I wonder how you, for instance, exit a text box in Photoshop - which uses Return for new line & Enter for 'finish work', exit edit mode.
    – Tetsujin
    Nov 3, 2021 at 18:22

1 Answer 1


This is the layout called "US English" in the store, the ANSI [American standard] keyboard. Apple has an excellent explainer for rapidly identifying hardware keyboards:

The clues are…
The top left key is backtick & tilde ` & ~
The left shift is long & is immediately left of Z
The Return ⏎ key is horizontal.

enter image description here

Contrast this with the layouts called "British English" or "International English" in stores, the ISO [European standard] keyboard…
The key top left is § & ±
The left shift is short, allowing for an additional key, for ` & ~
The Return ⏎ key is vertical & L-shaped. This also moves the | \ key down a row.

enter image description here

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .