Yesterday I encountered serious problem with my Macbook. Morning I've been able to work on him like everyday, then I closed the lid to do some other stuff. When I opened it back, it was turned off.
In this point I have to admit that I encountered that before, but restarting one or couple times always solved thing. Well, now it didn't. Everytime I could see only question mark folder.
So far here's what I did after that:
- Standard procedure of resetting SMC and PRAM/NVRAM
- Holding power key for longer time
- Finally booting up in recovery mode (
Command + R)
And to be honest real problem starts now.
I booted up to Mavericks recovery (which is default for my Mid 2014), but I wasn't able to see my disk during reinstallation of MacOS. I went to disk utility then I noticed only "disk0" with description of "Base OS X System".
Well, first thought - SSD is dead BUT... I'm using adapter connected to my Macbook and NVME M.2 SSD attached to adapter. I found on internet that Mavericks disk utility is not able to see this kind of drive, so next thought - let's try newest disk utility via internet recovery.
Instead of hitting
Command + R I tried
Command + Alt/Option + R. It is important to let you know, that I used internet recovery successfully, when I installed lastest OS on my Macbook (a year ago). However in this point recovery failed to boot (after providing WiFi and waiting couple of minutes) with error -0000F < it's not code of error, but everytime I try to use recovery I receive different numbers. For now it's -2005F with triangle and exclamation mark on globe.
Well, then I hitted another SMC + PRAM/NVRAM clear and tried again. Same error. Things gets spicy, because now I can't even access internal recovery (
Command + R).
Summary in current point:
- I'm not able to access any recovery (always get some error).
- I'm not able to boot up Macbook (gets black screen or after clearing PRAM/NVRAM - again question mark folder)
What I tried to do after those steps:
- Connect WiFi from drive menu, where I also didn't noticed any disk (holding
Alt/Optionafter chime sound)
- Couple of SMC and PRAM/NVRAM clears
- Holding power button for so long.
- Trying steps with connected and disconnected MagSafe.
- Clearing adapter and SSD from dust.
What are possibilities in my opinion:
- SSD or apdater is dead (or both), but I can't check it - I don't have other suitable device.
- Everything with hardware is fine, but Mavericks just wasn't able to see my disk (I wish)
- More deep problem. (Unfortunately most probable)
So... Any ideas? I can try to create bootable USB from Windows machine, but I don't know if it is even worth. Everything looks fine with my Macbook from hardware side (apart from adapter/SSD).
Thank you to everyone who even read this.