If a web page contains a text area along with some other content around it (such as the Body text area on the Stack Exchange "Ask question" page), then it's possible scroll up and down in this text area by placing the mouse pointer over it and using the scroll up/down gesture on the trackpad of my MacBook.

I want to emulate this gesture using the keyboard, so I just have to place the mouse pointer over the text area and use a keyboard shortcut to scroll up and down in this text area.

How do I achieve this?

Note: I'm aware that it's possible to click on the text area, in order to bring it in focus (so that I can type in text), after which I can move the cursor in the text area using the keyboard (which also has the effect of scrolling up/down as the cursor is followed). But this is not what I'm interested in.

  • You can do page-by-page with Spacebar, or use Page Up/Down/Home/End - is this not granular enough?
    – Tetsujin
    Sep 23, 2021 at 8:46
  • @Tetsujin no, only when the cursor is visible in the given text area is this possible. I want to be able to scroll with the keyboard in a text area without the cursor being visible in it (like I can with the trackpad when the mouse pointer is placed over the text area).
    – runeks
    Sep 23, 2021 at 8:52
  • In an active text area, the keyboard becomes dedicated to that text, other then home/end etc. I don't know a way round that, sorry.
    – Tetsujin
    Sep 23, 2021 at 8:56
  • As @Tetsujin said. My keyboard also has arrow keys on it. If you really need this functionality, maybe get an extended keyboard? Are there key combinations on the mini-keyboard that replace these keys?
    – GEdgar
    Sep 23, 2021 at 12:55
  • Fn+arrow keys give home/end etc
    – Tetsujin
    Sep 23, 2021 at 15:17


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .