I'm using OS X 10.7.2 and there are a couple keyboard shortcuts that are just driving me crazy - how do I change them?

  • In Chrome, "Go Back" (or Forward) is + [ or + ] (for forward), how do I change it to + or + (for forward)

  • In Chrome, search is alt + + F . I want it to be + K (like in Windows or Linux)

  • When working with text, going to the beginning or end of a line is control + A, I want it to be + or + (for right)


  • Do you intend your text shortcut to apply only to Chrome or be a system wide keyboard shortcut? – bmike Mar 6 '12 at 15:58
  • A system wide shortcut. Although this shortcut is last, it is the most important. That is, if you can't have overlapping keyboard shortcuts, I'll find another shortcut for go-back/forward in chrome. – Guy Mar 6 '12 at 15:59
  • You get both. App shortcuts override a system one by design. Open System Preferences and type this into the help menu search: "create keyboard shortcuts" - what step is failing you? – bmike Mar 6 '12 at 16:04
  • "You must type the command exactly as it appears in the application menu" - the last shortcut I want doesn't show in the application menu. – Guy Mar 6 '12 at 16:07
  • And, I changed "Back" and "Forward" as you suggest. In the menu, in chrome, I see the new shortcut, but it doesn't work using the keyboard. Ideas? – Guy Mar 6 '12 at 16:19

In general, you can edit, create and enable/disable keyboard shortcuts using the Keyboard Shortcuts tab of the Keyboard preferences pane. enter image description here

  • yes, I got that far... Can you be more specific on how I change the 3 shortcuts I asked about. – Guy Mar 6 '12 at 16:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .