My iMac randomly goes to sleep while I'm using resource-intensive apps such as Unreal Engine or Parallels Desktop.
If I run
pmset -g log | grep "Entering Sleep" I get the following log:
2021-07-12 11:17:12 +0200 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Low Power Sleep': Using AC (Charge:0%) 21 secs
This is confusing, because my Mac is an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and of course doesn't have any battery.
I found another similar question with as only answer the suggestion to reinstall macOS, which I did, but I keep having the same problem.
When the iMac is running such resource-intensive apps, the GPU (AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB) reaches 104 degrees celsius, and the CPU stays between 80 and 95. I'm not sure if this can be the reason, but I would expect a different log if the problem was overheating.
What I've tried so far:
- Reinstall macOS Big Sur
- Reset PRAM
- Reset SMC
- Run Amphetamine to attempt to stop the Mac from going to sleep
- Run Macs Fan Control to force the fans to go to full speed
- Made sure I don't have any hot corners associated to "Sleep"
- Disconnected any external peripheral
- Vacuumed it to try to remove any dust
- Ensured there's enough room behind the iMac to let air flow
- Cleared the iMac from dust with some compressed air (this lowered the CPU temp to ~70 and the GPU to ~90)
- Installed macOS on an external SSD and ran my apps from it
Nothing helped so far. Could someone help me figure out the issue?