I have a reliable external keyboard that worked normally with a macbook pro (2018). I've upgraded to a new macbook air and the command key isn't working with the external keyboard. For example I can't use any keyboard shortcuts such as ⌘-space for spotlight. It appears to be just the command key.
- ⌘C, ⌘V not working
- ⌘, for preferences not working
- Menu bar items (such as Edit > Copy) have the ⌘C greyed out instead of black font.
- Other keys work normally: tab, Enter, Ctrl-L (for clearing terminal screen for example).
- Laptop keyboard working fine.
Attempted (failed) fixes:
- Reset SMC (also PRAM, NVRAM)
- Check USB connections on different ports
- Delete Libarary Prefs
- Repeat the keyboard detection (
Prefs > Keyboard > Change Keyboard Type...)
Keyboard type: Coolermaster Quicksight Rapid-i mechanical keyboard. I have used it successfully with work laptops (windows and macbook pro) as well as an iMac (2012).