About My Mac:
MacBook Pro 11,3 2014, MacOS Catalina macOS 10.15.7 (19H524)
When trying to update MacOS Software using systempreferences or via the notification center Install popup I get 3 consistent error messages after a softwareupdate and system preferences crash.
- *com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.remoteservice (System Preferences) quit unexpectedly.[
- Preferences Error: There was an error in Software Update preferences.
- SoftwareUpdateNotificationManager quit unexpectedly.
Things i've tried:
- Creating a new user account and trying software update. NOTE: THIS WORKS!. So the issue must be in the users home folder.
- Downloading and installing software updates via command line with in the malfunctioning user account via
softwareupdate --install --allNOTE: THIS WORKS ALSO!
- Reinstalling MacOS on top of my currenct install without erasing MacintoshHD. This DOESN'T SOLVE THE ISSUE! ISSUE REMAINS PRESENT AFTER INSTALL!
- Backing up via Time-Machine, doing a full clean install, and then restoring from time maching. NOTE: THIS DOESN'T SOLVE THE ISSUE! ISSUE REMAINS AFTER CLEAN INSTALL AND RESTORE!
Issues that may have caused this:
- I read some post on a random mac forum about eliminating notifications for macOS software update. I entered a command that I am fairly certain modified a plist file for mac os. I don't know what command I used or what plist file it modified. I'm hoping it is just as easy as finding the plist file and removing it hoping mac os recreates a default plist file.
How can I fix this so that softwareupdate properly works on my current user account with my current mac os install?