I have a problem that seems to be a combination of other problems mentioned here & on the apple support forums. I've tried al the fixes I could find but am still coming up short.
I have a USB-C Hub that I use for a second monitor (HDMI) and a USB Keyboard for my 2019 Macbook Pro. Everything works fine if I use one of the two USB ports on the left side, but I get a weird pattern of problems if I try to use one of them on the right side:
- If I plug it in on the right side, neither the keyboard or the monitor are ever recognized at first (the USB keyboard has lights that turn on if it's powered so it's definitely just not being recognized at all).
- If I leave it plugged in, sometimes (not always) the computer will eventually recognize the keyboard after ~10m or so but never the monitor
- If I reboot the computer before resetting NVRAM/SMC the keyboard and monitor are not recognized, but the keyboard may be recognized ~10m later as before
- After resetting NVRAM and SMC the keyboard is reliably recognized after restarting, and works when I type my password to log in, but as soon as I log in the keyboard stops being recognized and seems to be less likely to be detected after some delay than before. The monitor is never recognized.
So in summary -- the left side USB ports work normally, but the right side USB ports work very selectively and are not fixed by resetting NVRAM/SMC. I've read a few posts that suggest it might be an issue with FileVault, but those are all a few years old so I don't know how relevant they are for a machine w/ the T2 chip and latest version of filevault. This problem has persisted for several versions an was definitely still true when i was still running Catalina.
Here are the other guides/threads/posts/etc. i've read and tried the solutions from:
Info about my machine:
- Macbook Pro 15-inch 2019
- macOS version 11.2.1
- 2.4GHz 8-core Intel Core i9
- Filevault enabled
Also posted this over here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252492736