I leave my MacBook plugged in for days at a time, so the battery stays charged to 100%.
Despite Apple claims to the contrary*, I believe that the battery's capacity would be better preserved if I could keep it at an 80% state-of-charge. Is there any command or setting that would let me disable charging from the power adapter?
Here are various options, (1) being my most preferred:
- A setting to automatically maintain battery at 80% SoC (like my Tesla has)
- A setting/command to use the AC adapter for running power only ("not charging" state)
- A command to tell my Mac to totally ignore the AC adapter power
(2) could be cobbled into (1) with some kind of script. Even if not possible from the Mac itself, (3) could be cobbled together with an IOT switch. But with (3), it's unclear the lower maintained SoC would outweigh the cost of the additional cycling.
* As of 11 Feb 2022, I can no longer find Apple claims that it's best to fully charge the battery.