All of my notes that are synced through iCloud have just disappeared across all of my synced devices. I use this application every day and would really like to get these notes back, but I can't explain how they disappeared.
Here's what happened:
- I went to my notes app earlier today on my laptop
- The notes app took a while to sync with iCloud
- When it finished syncing, all my notes disappeared and there is no Recently Deleted section.
- I went to my iPhone and had the same behaviour.
- When I went to my iCloud account in my browser to check my notes, it was empty, too.
- I went to my old laptop, disconntected it from the internet and made a backup of all the files in
~/Library/Containers/com.apple.notes/Data/Library/Notes. This laptop has my notes up to early April of this year.
- When I reconnected the laptop to the internet, it synced as well, and I lost everything (thought I still have the backup).
- What could have happened here such that all notes were deleted?
- How can I prevent this from happening in the future?
- Is there any way of recovering these notes now? (For example, might they be in my iPhone backup?)
I do use Carbonite to back up my laptop files, but
~/Library/Containers/ is not one of the folders being backed up.