With the release of macOS Big Sur, I am contemplating the following plan and wanted to get some advise on any risks or if this plan will even work or not. My current setup is:
- macOS Catalina as the primary OS - This on an APFS container.
- Blank Placeholder for macOS Big Sur - This is also an APFS container.
- Bootcamp Partition for Windows 10.
I plan to install macOS Big Sur on the blank placeholder above; know that it is a separate container and not a new volume on the same container as the primary OS.
I have a lot of customizations on macOS Catalina and will not be able to do a clean install, migrate all apps, change all settings and migrate all customizations in one day. Allowing me to choose which OS I want to boot into will allow me to take it slowly.
When the day comes that I no longer need macOS Catalina all I need to do is delete the container and resize the macOS Big Sur container to take up all the space that's left. Will this -
- Cause any issues with iCloud Music and iCloud Photo libraries as I will use them on both macOS Catalina and macOS Big Sur?
- Jeopardize my Bootcamp partition in any way?
- Allow me to reclaim the space used by macOS Catalina currently so when I remove it I can allocate that space to macOS Big Sur?
- Any other issues?
Any advise is welcome and appreciated.