I'm experiencing a jittery/buggy/flickering mouse cursor when moving my mouse over hyperlinks.
This occurs in both Safari and Chrome. It also occurs in other non-hyperlink instances of the mouse cursor changing, such as hovering over the drag handle when resizing Finder columns.
Every time the mouse transitions from the hyperlink pointer to the arrow pointer, the arrow pointer briefly visibly flashes in the wrong position before correcting itself.
This is in macOS 10.15 Catalina on my new 16" MacBook Pro with
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB GPU, provided by work and with a variety of software installed.
I now notice I'm also experiencing it on a Mid 2015 15" MacBook Pro running Catalina with the
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB. I don't believe this computer used to have this problem, prior to upgrading to Catalina.
This occurs 100% of the time when the discrete GPU is active. Namely:
- Any time an external display is connected.
- If "Automatic graphics switching" is toggled off, it will reproduce on the MacBook's display.
The issue has been tested and occurs using the onboard laptop Trackpad, external Magic Trackpad, and an IBM TrackPoint. It is unrelated to input device or tracking speed.
- Hover mouse above a hyperlink. (Shows "Mickey Mouse glove" pointer.)
- Move mouse pointer off the hyperlink so that cursor changes to the arrow pointer.
- Arrow pointer initially flashes at the "top left" position of the mouse bounding box for 1 frame.
- Arrow pointer then flashes back to its true position, pointing at the same pixels that the hyperlink glove was originally pointing.
When I create a screen recording via QuickTime, the mouse glitch is not visible in the recording.
Here is an iPhone video of my Mac's screen demonstrating the issue:
Relevant section in slo-mo:
This is driving me nuts. On link-heavy pages, moving the mouse across the screen results in a dizzying blur of pointer motion. Middle-clicking a link also produces a similar jitter.
I've reported this to Apple via their Feedback Reporter:
FB8452310- GPU causes mouse cursor glitch on 16" MacBook Pro
This bug is also mentioned here:
- Mouse cursor flickers when changing states using the Discrete GPU - YouTube
- When the cursor transitions from link mode to normal, it moves to the left for an instant before being displayed in the correct location.
- Cursor shaking when changing from default arrow to pointer
- If your mouse flickers on rollover, it's an OS problem.
- Mouse cursor flicker (over links)
- Mouse cursor flickering between arrow and hand on web links
- OS X mouse cursor flicker (video)
- Cursor Rollover 'Jerking'