How I can disable the default online save location in current versions of Word for Mac? I see that it is possible to "Set Default location" to online locations, but I don't see a way to do the same for "On My Mac" locations.
The animated .gif demonstrates that sometimes it prompts for saving online and sometimes it prompts for saving locally:
- Initially I click the red dot on an unsaved document with "Test Doc 1" in it
- It prompts to save online, so I click to "On My Mac" and save it to Downloads
- I repeat for a 2nd document (which was behind) having "Test Doc 2", except
- this time I cancel before saving, and click the save icon instead
- that causes a prompt to save on my mac, which I do (and then the .gif repeats)
I find this behavior confusing and because of it I have often saved things online and been unable to find files.
My main point, however, is that I want to set it so that it NEVER has the initial online save prompt. I have looked for answers and the only option seems to be to sign out of my Microsoft account. But when I do this other problems come up, such as wanting me to sign in and long opening times as it looks for a connection (I have a slow connection). I'd be happy to use Word without being connected if there's a way to do this without introducing these problems.
I have already sent a request regarding this (lack of a) feature. What I'm looking for is a work-around. I suspect those at MS are unlikely to change this situation since it benefits them.
I have Microsoft Word for Mac Version 16.37 on a Microsoft 365 subscription.