How do I fix slow wifi on an iPhone XR (iOS 13.4.1)?
The boss has an iPhone XR (iOS 13.4.1), and I have an iPhone 6 (iOS 12.4.5). The iPhone 6 gets 100% better Mbps throughput around my house. I have validated my router health and validated network setup on both phones. I have done all the reset/forget network cycling recommended by guides like this and this and this.
I measure the same performance percentage difference--iPhone 6 performs roughly 110% better--in all these tested scenarios:
- 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz network connection on both phones, simultaneously
- 802.11 ac 5 GHz network connection on both phones, simultaneously (first screenshot)
- Bluetooth off (second screenshot)
My test was:
- hold both phones in hand
- test average Mbps download speeds using Wi-Fi Sweetspots app
- average over ~10 seconds
- test 6 different spots around the house
- record results
Here are the side-by-side results of the latter two tests; left side is iPhone XR + iOS 13.4.1, right side is iPhone 6 + iOS 12.4.5
Test with bluetooth radio
off on both phones:
In both tests, "Spot 4" is standing directly next to the Wifi router.
Here are the recorded results in a Google Spreadsheet for at least 6 tests. The 5 of the top 6 results were for the
iPhone 6 + iOS 12.4.5 combination.
- both devices were tested without cases.
- I have tested on four different routers: 2 models of Netgear, TPLink AV600, cheap-o ActionTek. Results were consistent across all 4 routers: iPhone 6 consistently had 100%+ better throughput.
My wifi was assigned to channels email@example.comGHz and 44@5GHz, which my network analysis showed to be the only thing in the area on that channel. Also conducted a second test on alternate channels, with exclusive access; same results.
Both Phones were restarted occasionally, but not between every documented run. There was definitely a restart in the iPhoneX at least twice: once when the documented tests started, and once when I upgraded it from
13.4.1. Over the course of the few weeks that I have been observing the throughput metrics, the phones have been restarted ad-hoc and the slow relative behavior persists.
The following settings were in place at the time of the test:
Automatic Updates: Off
AirDrop: Receiving Off
Wi-Fi Calling: Off
iTunes Wi-Fi Sync: Off