I have a problem with slow file transfers from & between 2 iMacs which I'm hoping you can help with.
- iMac27 is a 2009 with 12Gb RAM & a 1Tb HDD running High Sierra 10.13.6
- iMac24 is a 2007 with 4Gb RAM & a 500Gb SSD running El Capitan 10.11.6
Both the above are connected to a Sagem router by 2.4Ghz wifi. I have plugged a 32Gb USB stick into the back of the router to share files across the network, but transfering the files is very slow so I did some tests using the same file with the following results:
- iMac27 to USB stick - 143.6Mb file takes 69 seconds = 16.6Mbps
- iMac24 to USB stick - 143.6Mb file takes 73 seconds = 15.7Mbps
- iMac27 to iMac24 - 143.6Mb file takes 153 seconds = 7.5Mbps
I have tried this before with a different ISP's router but had similar results so I don't think it's the router. Any idea what could be wrong and what I can do to improve things as I can't live with this level of data transfer. TIA