Overwhelmingly, the reason I turn to my computer instead of using my phone with an external keyboard and the reason I gave up using an iPad is to be able to use BBEdit. Is there a reasonably full-featured text editor for iOS so that reshaping a chunk of text, whether it is code or data or my grocery list doesn't make me boot my MacBook Pro?
- Great PCRE (Perl-Compatible Regular Expression) search and replace (with long history) (and keyboard shortcuts equivalent to bbedit's ⌘F and ⌘G)
- The ability to write and easily apply Perl (language negotiable, but that's my default) text filters – even better if I can bind keyboard shortcuts to user-written filters
- Syntax highlighting for a variety of useful languages and ability to define others
- Pressing return gives next line with same tab indentation
- Easy indent/outdent lines or blocks (like ⌘[, ⌘])
- Great visualization of balanced brackets, parens, etc.
- Great folding (on brackets, parens, etc., AND manually)
- Ability to turn on and off soft wrapped text
- save and load from ftp server
- Preview HTML in Safari (or a WebView within the app)