HP site says that no software or drivers found for your operating system when it comes to latest macOS versions.
Solution is to use HP printer driver bundle from file
HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers5.1.dmg which can be found on
Apple or search engine or direct link
- Download and install the printer driver package
- Open System Preferences -> Printers and Scanners
- Click + to add new device and click HP LaserJet 1018 printer name
- Click the Use drop-down menu and then click on Select Printer Software
- Search for 1022 in the search box and choose the HP LaserJet 1022 driver
- Finish installation and print test page
This allows to use old printer on macOS 10.14 and macOS 10.15 systems.
I hope it will help lots of people to save some gears.