I have a 2012 MacBook Pro. It has a Thunderbolt (Mini DisplayPort) port. I'd like to plug a USB Type-C device into it, since Thunderbolt is faster than my USB 3.0 port. I'm having a hard time finding an adapter with male Mini DisplayPort on one end and female USB-C on the other. Does such an adapter exist?

  • Before (or while writing the comment after) starting a reverse downvote battle, please add the type of USB-C device you want to attach... – klanomath Dec 23 '19 at 20:46
  • I don't have a particular type of device in mind. Are there adapters that would only handle certain types of devices? – aswine Dec 23 '19 at 20:58
  • 3
    Potential dupe: apple.stackexchange.com/a/267009/119271. Short answer is you’re not going to find one. – Allan Dec 23 '19 at 21:40

Use this adapter if it's a Thunderbolt device -> https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

You will need a Thunderbolt cable as well. That should work for you, it's worked for me.

If this is not a Thunderbolt device with a USB-C port, but is instead a USB 3.x device with a USB-C port then you need a different cable. Like this one -> https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Type-C-Adapter-Charger-Cable/dp/B01GGKYR2O

If you want to get gigabit speeds then make sure it's a USB 3.x cable and not a USB 2.0 cable.

If the device has a captive USB-C cable then there is no cheap solution. You will need a Thunderbolt 2 dock with a USB-C port, and these are hard to find. It would likely be cheaper to just replace this USB-C device with a USB-A or Thunderbolt 2 version than get an adapter.

  • Oh, cool. The first adapter you listed would work if I got a Thunderbolt 1 cable also. I guess I'd also need a USB-C female to female adapter to plug in a flash drive or something with a USB-C male connector. – aswine Feb 26 '20 at 17:21
  • Please don't use a female to female adapter, this violates the USB specification and this restriction is in the specification for a reason. You will run the risk of damaging the device and/or computer with these adapters. I missed the point about a male USB-C connector the first time so I answered the question more generally, the last paragraph in my post above likely applies here. If the cable is not hardwired then unplug it and use the right kind of cable. If it is hardwired then this is probably something that requires a $300+ dock of some kind. – MacGuffin Feb 27 '20 at 10:07

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .