I've got a large Aperture library of images from 2016 and earlier. I started using photos for my phone and eventually used it for everything. I now want to use Photos rather than Aperture, so that I can upgrade to macOS 10.15, Catalina. The facts:
- almost 2,000 projects
- almost 120,000 images
- most images are stored as referenced files
- I've got a 2TB SSD with my 2019 fastest MacBook Pro
- Should I "Consolidate Originals" first on Aperture? Why or why not? My originals are on an external hard drive.
- Should I group my projects into folders so that I select a subset to generate previews? What happens if my machine crashes during the generation of previews?
- Should I import my old images into my system Photos? or will that bog down Photos, and so I should create a separate photos library? What are the pros and cons of just one library vs. keeping my old library separate, since I will rarely do edits there?