What is the purpose of the scale at the top of TextEdit.

What are various ways one can make use of that scale?

enter image description here


It is a Tab ruler, for setting indents, tab stops and other text alignments.

Apple explains it fully here:

Adjust margins and paragraphs in TextEdit on Mac

  • The downward arrow in the ruler is used to set the right side margin of the text right? but it is only being applied to the new text that I enter but not to the existing text. Is it possible to apply this to existing text as well – firstpostcommenter Oct 25 '19 at 14:47
  • @firstpostcommenter Can't you just select the text and then move the arrow? – Tom Gewecke Oct 25 '19 at 14:59
  • @TomGewecke: ah, that works. Thanks. And what is that downward arrow called(like left tab, center tab, right tab, decimal tab, etc)? Secondly, I changed the whole file to 44 size but still the ruler is displaying till 58, can I change it because I only need till 44 scale – firstpostcommenter Oct 25 '19 at 15:21

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .