Unpacked a new MacBook Pro 13" yesterday. I've been using it for a couple of hours before plugging it in for the very first time as it told me that it still had plenty of battery power left. I was surprised that it seemingly did not deplete, until the device shut off suddenly due to a completely emptied battery.
When plugging it in and restarting it, the battery icon in the menu bar said "Service Battery". Upon googling the problem I found out that resetting the SMC is a popular first trouble shooting step. However, a reset did not change anything, the warning remains.
Do you have any additional suggestions for me? I'd hate to take it back.
Update: After charging it to 100% I took it off the charger and the warning eventually disappeared. It's still on 100% though after having worked on it for about 3 hours.