Suspect: Macbook Pro Mid 2014 13" Retina on macOS High Sierra
Symptoms: suddenly frozen under normal usage (Chrome browsing), similar to a kernel panic, Shut down by holding the power button. Not capable to boot since.
Charge: hard drive failure?
Here is some evidence I was capable to collect:
- system won't start, freezes on Apple logo w/ loading bar
- Recovery partition Disk Utility tool cannot fix the hard drive (errors with a message that drive cannot be unmounted/mounted)
- The diagnostic boot mode (cmd+D) crashes after language selection (frozen and nothing happens)
- Verbose mode (cmd+V) leaves the computer with constantly scrolling unreadable message about "spaceman_free..." (pictured below)
In all the above cases, the Macbook is unresponsive and has to be shut down by holding the power button.
Does anyone have a similar issue or have any idea how to proceed with the current situation?
Update I (09/26/19):
- I haven't installed any software before the event;
- My account was the only one and w/ administrator privileges;
- SIP is enabled (at least if it is by default);
- after some thought, I have recalled that I had at least one pending update that couldn't be finished due to some issue.
- the attempt of OS reinstallation failed due to the fact that the hard drive cannot be unmounted.
I am afraid that lot of this information is noise over signal but I cannot tell at this point what is more helpful for someone experienced.
I will update this post with anything new I manage to learn.