How do I set keyboard shortcuts for Home, End, PageDown, and PageUp on a 13" MacBook Pro? Are there default keyboard shortcuts? Or can I do it with Automator (and if so, how)?

I want them to work the same way that Home and End do on all Windows apps.

I also want general solution I get that Kyle Cronin♦ was do the same in some apps, but what about others? is there any tricky solution?


You can do page up/down and home/end on a Macbook keyboard by using the fn and the arrow keys:

fn+ is PageUp
fn+ is PageDown
fn+ is Home
fn+ is End

  • 3
    @kyle fn + -> and fn + <- not work fine for me. in some apps it's work right but in some apps it works strange. – Am1rr3zA Nov 4 '10 at 19:10
  • 1
    The keystrokes Kyle Cronin provided are correct. Bear in mind that Home and End do not always behave the same way on OS X as they do on other OSes. – Warren Pena Nov 4 '10 at 19:49
  • +agreed. There's quite a bit of difference from the windows functionality. Some apps act like windows with these keys, others don't. – Robert S Ciaccio Nov 4 '10 at 19:55
  • @calavera How can I define keystroke for home and end to do exactly the same as windows? – Am1rr3zA Nov 4 '10 at 20:30
  • 2
    @am1rr3za: you can't do it in the OS... it's the way the apps themselves are programmed that defines how they handle those keys. What specific apps are you having trouble with? – Robert S Ciaccio Nov 4 '10 at 20:56

+ works like a PC's End (moves the cursor to the end of the line). + works like a PC's Home (moves to the beginning of the line). ctrl+A and ctrl+E (Emacs-style keybindings) work in most OS X applications as well.


I found another solution for you while I was playing around with KeyRemap4MacBook. Check out the settings pictured below. See anything you like? :)

keyremap4macbook settings

  • +1 for your answer but I don'thave time now to test it, later I test and tell it solve my problem or not. – Am1rr3zA Nov 7 '10 at 5:37
  • None of those address PageUp/PageDown on a MacBook – StephenBoesch Aug 14 '15 at 21:50
  • It's now at karabiner-elements.pqrs.org – xpt Feb 6 at 23:00

On my MBP it's: CMD + FN + <- for HOME and CMD + FN + -> for END

  • These are the shortcuts I was hunting for. I wanted to jump to the beginning or end of a document. – checketts Jul 12 '13 at 20:12
  • You also have cmd+up and cmd+down, which do the same thing and require one less finger on the keyboard. – Trejkaz Jul 6 '14 at 11:27

For Eclipse it appears that these keys aren't even set to anything by default, at least in my installation. You probably need to set them in the preferences:

eclicpse page up and page down

I don't know exactly where the end and home Windows-like functions are in this screen, I couldn't find anything yet that sounds like what they do. Something like "move cursor to end\beginning of line" was what I was looking for.

If you're talking about Safari's address bar, try + and + for end and home. Those work in lots of other apps as well.

  • +1 for your answer but I want find general solution. – Am1rr3zA Nov 5 '10 at 5:46

In Terminal, you can use ⌥ Opt+ for home and ⌥ Opt+ for end. Although this is on a Swedish keyboard.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .