How do I set keyboard shortcuts for Home, End, PageDown, and PageUp on a 13" MacBook Pro? Are there default keyboard shortcuts? Or can I do it with Automator (and if so, how)?

I want them to work the same way that Home and End do on all Windows apps.

I also want general solution I get that Kyle Cronin♦ was do the same in some apps, but what about others? is there any tricky solution?

6 Answers 6


You can do page up/down and home/end on a Macbook keyboard by using the fn and the arrow keys:

fn+ is PageUp
fn+ is PageDown
fn+ is Home
fn+ is End

  • 3
    @kyle fn + -> and fn + <- not work fine for me. in some apps it's work right but in some apps it works strange.
    – Am1rr3zA
    Nov 4, 2010 at 19:10
  • 1
    The keystrokes Kyle Cronin provided are correct. Bear in mind that Home and End do not always behave the same way on OS X as they do on other OSes. Nov 4, 2010 at 19:49
  • +agreed. There's quite a bit of difference from the windows functionality. Some apps act like windows with these keys, others don't. Nov 4, 2010 at 19:55
  • @calavera How can I define keystroke for home and end to do exactly the same as windows?
    – Am1rr3zA
    Nov 4, 2010 at 20:30
  • 2
    @am1rr3za: you can't do it in the OS... it's the way the apps themselves are programmed that defines how they handle those keys. What specific apps are you having trouble with? Nov 4, 2010 at 20:56

+ works like a PC's End (moves the cursor to the end of the line). + works like a PC's Home (moves to the beginning of the line). ctrl+A and ctrl+E (Emacs-style keybindings) work in most OS X applications as well.


I found another solution for you while I was playing around with KeyRemap4MacBook. Check out the settings pictured below. See anything you like? :)

keyremap4macbook settings

  • +1 for your answer but I don'thave time now to test it, later I test and tell it solve my problem or not.
    – Am1rr3zA
    Nov 7, 2010 at 5:37
  • None of those address PageUp/PageDown on a MacBook Aug 14, 2015 at 21:50
  • It's now at karabiner-elements.pqrs.org
    – xpt
    Feb 6, 2021 at 23:00

On my MBP it's: CMD + FN + <- for HOME and CMD + FN + -> for END

  • These are the shortcuts I was hunting for. I wanted to jump to the beginning or end of a document.
    – checketts
    Jul 12, 2013 at 20:12
  • You also have cmd+up and cmd+down, which do the same thing and require one less finger on the keyboard.
    – Hakanai
    Jul 6, 2014 at 11:27

For Eclipse it appears that these keys aren't even set to anything by default, at least in my installation. You probably need to set them in the preferences:

eclicpse page up and page down

I don't know exactly where the end and home Windows-like functions are in this screen, I couldn't find anything yet that sounds like what they do. Something like "move cursor to end\beginning of line" was what I was looking for.

If you're talking about Safari's address bar, try + and + for end and home. Those work in lots of other apps as well.

  • +1 for your answer but I want find general solution.
    – Am1rr3zA
    Nov 5, 2010 at 5:46

In Terminal, you can use ⌥ Opt+ for home and ⌥ Opt+ for end. Although this is on a Swedish keyboard.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .