What's the MacOS equivalent to Windows' keyboard shortcut to move AN individual window to another monitor? Let's assume a dual-monitor setup.

The specific Windows keyboard shortcuts I'm hoping to find equivalents to are the following:

  • Move Window to Left Monitor: Windows Icon Symbol+

  • Move Window to Right Monitor: Windows Icon Symbol+

  • Maximize Window: Windows Icon Symbol+

  • Minimize Window: Windows Icon Symbol+

  • 1
    macOS doesn't 'think' in monitors it thinks in desktops/spaces. One monitor can have many spaces & one space can be on either monitor. I'd say this would need a 3rd party tool.
    – Tetsujin
    Aug 29, 2019 at 18:05
  • 2
    Catalina has that option, but no shortcut to it, It is under menu Window-> Move to Builtin Display or Window-> Move to External Display. But no shortcut either pressing option/command/shift with all combinations. But possible via acessing the menu with keyboard arrows or via mouse click. There is "minimize" using Command+M
    – Prado
    Aug 29, 2019 at 18:10
  • 1
    As a Windows to MacOS user, I ended up using Spectacle to mimic those Snap features
    – ernie
    Aug 29, 2019 at 18:11
  • @ernie, wow didn't realize there was vocabulary which captured the concept. Window snapping, I like it. How-To: Enable Aero Snap-like window snapping on your Mac It also jibes well with vector graphic drawing lingo as in Adobe Illustrator's Snap To Grid feature.
    – jxramos
    Aug 29, 2019 at 20:07
  • 2
    this is partially answered in the mega-thread apple.stackexchange.com/a/66936/133605
    – c69
    Nov 17, 2020 at 16:36

2 Answers 2


I don't think there's a default key shortcut, but if you look in the Window menu, there is a menu item there "Move to name of display".

enter image description here

So you could create shortcuts yourself in System Preferences > Keyboard for the command that is visible in each display.

enter image description here


Spectacles has been discontinued.

I use the app Magnet, downloadable from the App Store, which has the "Next display" capability using:


  • Rectangle is a successor to Spectacles. It has an OSS version and a paid version with more features.
    – tephyr
    Sep 21, 2022 at 21:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .