I have this old iPhone 5c which I believe isn’t supported anymore, doesn’t get updates, leaving it’s security vulnerable, I imagine.
This morning while browsing a distorted voice came from the 5c. It wasn’t Siri, a phone call, or a video autoplaying. It isn’t a physical malfunction on behalf of the speaker, it was working fine. It was a creepy distorted voice from the 5c’s speaker, which I think said something ominous like “want to play a game?” but it could just be my wild imagination.
Turned the thing off and nothing else happened so far. Some other details I should note:
- I have a newer phone which I use for anything sensitive; the 5c doesn’t have a SIM card and I logged out of my apple ID a while ago. I just use this as a backup for browsing and travel photos. My new phone has also not done anything creepy atm.
- I have never jailbroken this 5c.
- Might’ve clicked an ad/went to a weird site on accident a few days ago.
So I just want to ask:
- Is there an existing hack that allows someone to do this? When I tried researching, all I found was info on a smart speaker hack and just general malfunctions.
- If a hack exists, can it only be done with physical access to the device, or over Wifi?
- Should I be concerned about my personal information? While no information/logins of importance would be inputted into the phone directly, I am worried about the possibility of them finding my Wifi password from memory.
Thank you for reading.