I've seen this before. Try the following to resolve it:
- Send something to print so that you get the
Hold for authentication error
- In Terminal enter
- From the output identify the printer name - it should be preceded by
device for and followed by a colon
: and a printer address. For example, if your output looked like:
device for Brother_MFC_9335CDW: dnssd://Brother%20MFC-9335CDW._ipp._tcp.local.
Then your printer name would be
- Now enter the following command:
sudo lpadmin -p PrinterName -o auth-info-required=username,password
NOTE: Replace the
PrinterName with your printer's name from Step 3
You should be prompted for your Mac user password - enter this and press return
Now try printing again as a test.
If it doesn't work, let me know and we'll troubleshoot further.
Since the above didn't work we'll repeat the process with some minor adjustments. More specifically, after Step 1 but before Step 2, do the following:
- Open the Printer queue
- Click on the 'Refresh' icon (it's the circular one with an arrow)
- You should now get prompted for your credentials (i.e. username and password)
Now proceed with Step 2 from above.